Congratulations! You have completed your graduation by attending acting classes in Mumbai or any city based on your choice and convenience. Really, it’s great news for you, your family members, friends, and well-wishers. Now, you are ready to professionally start your career in acting. As you are aspiring actors, you will have some issues in starting your career as an actor. Here are some steps that you can follow to start a professional acting career:
[inline_related_posts title=”You Might Be Interested In” title_align=”left” style=”list” number=”4″ align=”right” ids=”” by=”categories” orderby=”rand” order=”DESC” hide_thumb=”no” thumb_right=”no” views=”no” date=”yes” grid_columns=”1″ post_type=”” tax=””]
1. Be prepared with some essential things
As you start looking for acting work, you need to have a few things such as your portfolio and resume with you. For a better start, you should get the essential things done and keep most of them with you. Here is more on what essentials you do or have:
- Make a portfolio – Your portfolio is a mirror of you for production houses in the entertainment industry. In the portfolio, you should keep the good headshots taken by a professional photographer. Even being expensive, you need to have this.
- Build an acting resume – You are fresher in acting or just have just completed your acting courses. So, you don’t have experience. You need to show some experience before applying for acting jobs. And for this, you can do a few student films or add commercials. Further, make it error free and include all details such as your body weight, colour, work experience, contact address, and communication means about you.
- Compose a cover letter – A cover letter helps you establish a personal connection and elements to auditions. Make it specific for a particular acting job and avoid using common cover letters. And mention briefly about your education and experience.
- Put the essentials together – While visiting a production house or attending auditions, all essentials should be with you. To avoid having any missing, you should keep all the requisite things in a carry bag.
2. Decide whether you should act for screen or stage
Many aspiring actors have a query whether they should opt acting for a stage or a screen. They are not sure which one would be better for them. In big cities like Delhi, Mumbai, London, and New York, both screen and stage are great. However, most of today’s youth want to work in films. They start working for OTT platforms, web series, and television shows if they don’t get entry into the film industry in the initial days. Some of them opt for performing on stages in their local towns/cities.
You too have the same scenario. If it is with you, leave the matter for later and start acting for what comes to first with a small to big opportunity. It is, as you need a break and start performing to get noticed. In the initial days, it doesn’t matter a lot what platform you choose. However, it is crucial for you to be in the limelight and make common people and the entertainment industry know you. So, start with acting or the screen or stage that you get first.
3. Get the first acting job
You should start applying for an entry to the film, television, or entertainment industry. For this, you should be ready to travel to big cities like London, New York, Delhi, Mumbai, etc. that house production houses (for films, TV shows, and OTT platforms) and a lot of theatres. Here is more on how can you get the first paid acting job:
- Find an acting agent
- Attend auditions that take place in any city in your country
- Be ready for auditions
- Be good at manners or meeting with others
- Get ready for relocation
4. Be professional
Acting enables you to have fun, money, glamour, and popularity. All these come to you gradually, but not in a single day or year. You can have fun while performing an act as per the scene of a film or theatrical story. However, you need to value this profession and be professional to it. Here are some useful tips:
- Stay in shape and be conscious
- Always be ready to work
- Maintain a schedule
- Be professional to agents, your work, directors, and coperformers
- Avoid having fun on each day or from everything that comes in your acting career
5. Stay away from scams
Scams happen in every profession and with aspiring candidates. In the film, television, or entertainment industry, scams are very common. You can come across situations or people offering great roles with a sum of money. Here is more on how you can stay away from scans while getting acting jobs for you:
[inline_related_posts title=”Related Posts” title_align=”left” style=”grid” number=”4″ align=”none” ids=”” by=”categories” orderby=”rand” order=”DESC” hide_thumb=”no” thumb_right=”no” views=”yes” date=”yes” grid_columns=”2″ post_type=”” tax=””]
- Explore at your end and make efforts to verify the opportunities you come across
- Carefully look at the advertised auditions
- Stay away from people, agents, or websites that charge money for a role
- Avoid paying to talent companies for pictures
6. Keep the realities of the industry in mind
When you try to have a break in the film, television, or theoretical industry, you will come to know that the industry is full of unfulfilled promises and a lot of lies. Each one tries to get an entry and have lots of money. And for this, most make false statements to be in the limelight to grab media attention. Here are what you should do:
- Being successful in film, television, commercials, or theatrical industry takes a lot of time, effort, and patience
- Be ready for accepting a lot of rejections before landing an offer
- Push through without considering a lot
- Never give up
- Keep trying and enhancing your skills
7. Advance in your career
Your talent, effort, and patience can make you have a break as an actor or co-actor in a theatre, commercial ad, film, OTT series, or TV show. You should keep moving forward and stop looking at the back. For a better and more successful career in acting, you should:
- Improve yourself based on received feedback from industry experts and audiences
- Earn a lot of experiences
- Spend time on acting everyday even when you have no role/job
Starting a professional acting career after the completion of a respective training or course is a little tricky. You need to be very careful at each stage. For starting your acting career, you should follow the steps such as preparing essentials, determining the type, getting the first paid acting job, being professional, keeping the industry facts in mind, and moving forward. With time, you will be successful and famous for your acting.